Here is my shot at understanding Romans 4:13 without the use of commentaries. The first question is who is the heir?
In Gal. 3:16 Paul refers to Abraham's seed as singular (not plural) and relating to Christ. In that context it makes perfect sense but here in this part of the Romans arguement, Paul has just been making the case that not just those who are Jews and have the Law are Abraham's descendants but also those who like Abraham believe God and have had it reckoned to them as righteousness. (4:3)So in this case I believe that the term offspring is meaning to refer to all those both Jew and Gentile alike--who have faith in Jesus Christ. So the identification of the 'heir' is all those, like Abraham, who have believed God. We are not heirs by virtue of works of the Law but we are Abraham's offspring when we trust God.
The second question is, What does 'of the world' refer to?
As I think it through there are two primary possibilites. First, it could mean, the heirs (those who trust God), what they inherit is---the world. This reminds me of Matt. 5:5 where in the Sermon of the Mount Jesus says, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." I also remember Jesus saying in Matt. 6:33,"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well."So if this is the case it would mean something like 'for the ones who trust God, who believe Him and do not rely on works of the Law for righteousness, these shall receive from God, as an inheritance--(something we get out of the situation)--the world.
This could be the correct interpretation but it doesn't sit well with me. When I trust God in reality I give up the world with all my silly gropings to try and hold on to it. When Abraham believed God--he did so in spite of the world that would say--your body is to old to have sex and your wife has been barren for decades. It was the wisdom of the world that Abraham had to forego and he had to trust that God was able to do what the world said was impossible. So for the one who believes God (which at least in part entails giving up the world) I find this second possibilitiy for what 'of the world' means to be more compelling. Here then is that second choice.
Grammatically 'of the world' could also mean--out of all the world, these people, (those who believe God as Abraham did) these are the ones who are heirs. Actually I kind of like that. It is after all what I wanted when I trusted God. All i have ever wanted when I trusted God was His abiding presence. If you are here God, everything will be okay. If I turn it over to God, then because He is good, everything that comes from His hand is good (even if I don't like it) You see when I trust God, it is not the world I was hoping to get out of that trusting relationship. In fact it is just the opposite of that. In trusting God Abraham hoped to get out of that trust--what God could bring to the table that the world could not. That is it exactly. As an heir (one who trusts God) what I want is God Himself and all the power His presence brings. I don't want the world. It looks bleak and barren. I want God who brings life out of death. Vitality out of drudgery. Hope out of despair.
When we trust God and don't rely on our efforts within this world, we become heirs within this world who receive the power and presence of God who is beyond this world and Lord over this world.
That's where the Holy Spirit has led me. What do you think? Keep living in Romans.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Pastor Greg. Great insights. I appreciate your incorporation of Jews and Gentiles in the heirship of Christ.
ReplyDeleteThis passage sounds very much like an inheritance. That, if we have faith in God, we become His heirs, and receive the inheritance He offers us. I suppose I am still wrestling with what that inheritance is, like you in your post. Is our inheritance the abiding presence of God? Resoundingly yes. Is it all we ever will need? I think so. But is it still possible that 'the world' could be our possible inheritance? A restored Creation, one that is in relationship with its Creator, is a remarkable place, a gift given to us by God to live in, to dwell in, to recreate and to steward. Could our inheritance be the abiding presence of God within the world that He has given us to live in?
I suppose the question would be the phrasing and language of what 'the world' and its connotations might mean. I feel you initially addressed it, but I'm still wondering if there is more?
Thanks Ryan for your insights. The answer I believe is YES with the understanding being based on what usage of 'world' you are using. In general I was using the term world as representing the cultures, mindset and energy that is opposed to God. It brings failure, death and despair. It is the same relationship to Creation as flesh is to the human body. Both were Creation and the human body were created and sustained by God and declared good. Both have been corrupted and
ReplyDeletemarred by sin. Thank God both have been redeemed and are in the process of transformation due to the gift of justification in christ and the power of the Spirit present to bring LIFE. Yes, I agree with your assessment of Creation being part of our inheritance.