Thank you for your questions becuase it is quite obvious that as a communicator I did not do my job. You may also see on the blog spot commnets that my son Ryan also had some questions about what I wrote.
1. As I understand it, there is understanding about the first question--who are the heirs? all those who like Abraham--believe.
2.Its the second point where the confusion comes. Let me see if I can clarify. In talking about two possibilites, there really are two different possibilites about what this word 'world' could mean. Sometimes in the Scriptures it refers to Creation, the created order, the sticks and stones of earth. When this is the understanding of the word--'world' then I agree with Ryan that yes--we do re-inherit the 'world'--Creation and we will be restored as the stewards of this created order as part of our inheritance. In other words--this created earth is not refuse nor to be discarded, nor taken lightly. But there is another use of the word 'world' in the Pauline letters and it is a usage that is not refering to the creation, nor the sticks and stones of the created order but to the cultures, values and energy of the 'world' which are opposed to God. (See Eph. 2:2)
So what I was trying to say was not--that Creation is rotten or bad--it is fallen just as we are--but it will also be redeemed and restored as shall all who trust in Christ but the usage of the word 'world' in this particular verse was refering more to the world that is made up of values and practices that are opposed to God.
I landed on this particular usage of the word 'world' primarily because of Rom. 4:17 where Paul refers to the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were." In other words, the entire passage is using Abraham as as an example of one who believed that God could supernaturally do what the 'world' could not fathom and would call foolish. So I was led to the conclusion that we are the heirs who have come out of the world. What I was trying to say is that while I am very eager to inherit the Creation restored to its God planned grandeur, I am not desiring at all to inherit those things of the world--her cultures, values and energies (that are opposed to God)(that do not believe that God can, when man can't) this is NOT the inheritance that I want. What I want to inherit is more of the presence of God, more of His power and more of His love in my life--none of which the 'world' can provide for me.
Finally trying to figure out what God is saying in His word is not a matter of thinking that Holy Spirit has changed his mind or said something different. It is trying to understand (free of my own fleshly interpretations and wisdom) what He means in each and every Scripture. I seek Him, I pray and I think--then I speak or write. I do not presume to own the only interpretaion possible but I do know that the Holy Spirit also resides in me and I am thankful that He directs and aids me as I go-just as He does each of His children as they seek Him. Hopefully this helps clarify. If not lets keep on dialoguing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment